Re: advise needed for library packaging

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:30:28 +0200
George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

> > "some sort of API version discriminator" doesn't sound as if you've
> > understood SONAME transitions.
>
> ... or you better understand [1] that you should avoid keeping SONAME
> artifacts in the -dev package names, thus avoid changing -dev package name on
> each SONAME bump, which would make release team cry upon transitions, loudly.

Which is why, generally, I prefer to use libfoo-dev - it isn't an
argument (to me) for using some number other than the SONAME in the
-dev package name. It would be particularly confusing to use a number
in the -dev package name that is just "some sort of API discriminator"
but that had no relation to the actual SONAME. If a number is used, it
should change in step with the transitions and be predictable from
objdump -p.

However, once a transition does come along, if you want to retain
libfoo1.2-dev and libfoo2.0-dev, then it makes more work for some but
allows libraries with hundreds and hundreds of reverse-dependencies to
have a sensible migration path. Such libraries are few and far between,
thankfully, but the ability to retain the SONAME in the -dev package
name (and the source package name) is important for a small number of
fundamental libraries. There is then the inevitable pain of deciding
that libfoo1.2 simply has to go away at some point. :-)

Where would we be without libc6-dev ?

--

Neil Williams