Re: RFS: inkscape-textext

Dear Luca

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 03:18:43PM +0100, Luca Bruno wrote:
> Salvatore Bonaccorso scrisse:
>
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "inkscape-textext".
> >
> > inkscape-textext - Inkscape extension for editable LaTeX text or
> > formula
>
> I'm not really in favor of this ITP, as it mainly seems as a
> wring reaction to the latex extension not working properly.

Many thanks for your reaction on this! Indeed yes, you are right, it
was a porbably to fast reaction. I will so the sponsoring request on
mentors.debian.net again.

First, before I also answer to your other paragraphs: do you think,
there is a "change" that the patch found in launchpad bugtracker (See
Bugreport #506285) can go into the inkscape package? This will render
back again the LaTeX formula rendering for 0.46 again. It would be
really great to have this working again, "out of the box".

> All main inkscape extensions are maintained within the upstream repo as
> the extension interface is used to change a lot between each release,
> and so they could broke often. You should talk to textext upstream to
> better integrate with inkscape upstream.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try to drop an email to the textext
upstream autor if this is possible!

> I definitely would not welcome a one-package-per-extension policy, that
> is the field where your package is currently going.

I have again cancelled now my request on mentors.debian.net about
this. Sorry about that.

> Thus I'm suggesting you to drop this ITP, work with Wolfram (which
> currently seems a bit busy) to fix the other two related bugs, suggest
> your upstream to get in touch with Inkscape developers to integrate the
> extension avoiding duplicate code and maybe start discussing a better
> extensions packaging (which would be really appreciate, IMHO).

Ok I will try to again reach Wolfram via BTS, as found in 506285 there
is a patch to have at least in 0.46 the exporting (but without
reediting) formula again working, but I haven't get a reply from
Wolfram about this.

Many thanks again for your work and for your reply.

Hope my english is understandable.

Kind regards
Salvatore