Re: RFS: premake

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM, David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> wrote:
> At Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:16:51 -0600,
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>
>> [1  <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
>> On Sunday 2008 November 16 11:20, Kaido Kert wrote:
>
>> > Quite a few developers prefer premake for its use of Lua as scripting
>> > language, rather than using custom syntax.
>>
>> Sounds like it should wait until a package in Debian needs it.  The
>> are "quite a few" packages in Debian -- are there any projects using
>> premake whose software is in Debian.
>
> For what it is worth (not very much, I suspect), I disagree that being
> a build dependency for a Debian package is the only valid reason to
> include a tool in Debian. I, like many others use Debian as a software
> development platform. Having a good set of development tools is a big
> selling feature for me.
>
> I suspect there are other reasons why no-one has volunteered to review
> Kaido's package, mainly the (non)-release of Lenny, and lua not being
> as well known as other scripting languages.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

I checked apt-file for any premake.lua files and found none, which
might mean that there are no packages in debian using premake or
simply that the devs dont include the scripts in source distros ( like
they often dont include autotools autogen/bootstrap scripts ) and just
ship the generated makefiles.
Koders.com query and general googling will turn up lots, though.
Its also kind of a chicken and an egg problem. Its difficult to have
software built for debian using premake directly if you cant simply
tag your package to depend on premake and use it for building.

> lua not being as well known as other scripting languages.
:) Depends, its widely used by game developers, and the list of apps
that use it as customization and scripting language is rather long.

regards,
-kert