Re: Getting -m64 at the right time and place.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:37:55PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> However, as I do not understand the purpose of -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, I am
> worried it would be breaking maq on 32-bit arches to remove it.

It will only break its ability to read large files (> 2GB). That is what
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS is for.

> How can we have
> a configure file that does the right thing: -m64 only on 64-bit architectures?

Do you really want -m64 at all ? It is only necessary if you want to
build 64-bits binaries when running on a 32-bits kernel. Do you really
want to build ppc64 binaries on ppc, and s390x binaries on s390 ?
Wouldn't it be better to build such binaries respectively on ppc64 and
s390x ?

Mike