Re: Different suggests/recomends according to architecture

* Julien Valroff [Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:53:43 +0100]:

> Hi,

> I am the maintainer of the ajaxterm package.

> I have been provided a patch to allow use of psyco in ajaxterm only if
> available.

> I would like to ajaxterm to recommend or suggest this package, which is
> only available for i386, whereas ajaxterm is an arch:all package.

> Is there any way to specify this?

> Should I leave psyco anyway, and rely on apt to not try and install it
> on architectures where it is not available?

> Should I change my package to be arch:any (I guess no, just asking)?

I think Recommending or, particularly, Suggesting packages that don't
exist in certain arches is ok for arch:all packages, the story being
that nobody notices that it doesn't get installed.

If it was a Depends, and arch:all package would depend on "psyco |
not+i386", which would pull in type-handling on all !i386 arches. There
is no point at all in doing that for Recommends, though: you want psyco
just not installed, not random crap pulled in. :-)

HTH,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

In my opinion, the most fruitful and natural play of the mind is in
conversation. I find it sweeter than any other action in life; and if I
were forced to choose, I think I would rather lose my sight than my
hearing and voice.
                -- Michel de Montaigne