Re: [RFS]: iw - tool for configuring Linux wireless devices

On Thursday 30 October 2008 18:59:28 martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Kel Modderman <kel@otaku42.de> [2008.10.28.1330 +0100]:
> > Guus Sliepen, the maintainer of wireless-tools has already started dialogue
> > with me about what iw is and how it will integrate with our system. All I can
> > say at this time, is that I simply do not know! The purpose of this upload is
> > to get the iw binary into the experimental archive, without any other
> > "system glue", so that it can pass NEW and so on and thus become available to
> > Debian people for use and further development.
>
> Very good. Maybe you could add a sentence to debian/control or
> debian/README.Debian to explain this? With such a note in place, I'd
> sponsor you.

Okay, glad to do that, and super glad for your interest and offer.

The diff which was committed in line with your suggestion:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-wpa?op=comp&compare[]=%2F@1276&compare[]=%2F@1277

The new package is at:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/iw/iw_0.9.6-1.dsc

I should also point out, that there is another wireless related userspace
component that we will require in the future for control of regulatory domain
related stuff, CRDA [0]. It seems like more of a work-in-progress though, but
it won't be too long until new upstream Linux versions, and iw, can make use of
it. No doubt that software would present a few challenges though.

Not sure if crda's packaging is something we should consider looking at or
leave for (or co-operate with?) the debian-kernel people though.

Thanks, Kel.

[0] http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA