Re: building package with different libs

* Thorsten Alteholz [Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:06:09 +0200]:

> Hi,

Hello,

> I need some advice on building packages with different libs.
> Assuming that I have software S which needs to be linked against library L.
> For whatever reason there are several implementations (L1, L2, L3) of
> this library available. Each of them has its advantages and it would be
> fine
> to build three packages SL1, SL2 and SL3.
> Unfortunately L1, L2 and L3 conflict each other. So what would be the
> best way to build all three packages from one source package? Is this
> possible at all?

> To make this a bit more realistic: It is about package meep-mpi.
> Currently it uses libhdf5-serial and there is a requet to build it with
> libhdf5-mpich and libhdf5-openmpi. So my Build-Depends: in the source section
> needs to contain either libhdf5-serial-dev, libhdf5-mpich-dev or
> libhdf5-openmpi-dev. Is it still possible to build package meep-mpi-hdf5serial,
> meep-mpi-hdf5mpich and meep-mpi-hdf5openmpi at the same time?

If the different implementations conflict among them, I don't think you
can build all three SL{1,2,3} binary packages from the same source
package.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

A hacker does for love what other would not do for money.