Getting Started

So, I decided to stop talking about contributing to Debian and start
*actually* contributing to Debian.  I ran "aptitude search '~i!~M' | head"
to find a package to start working on, and the first one that came up was
acpi-support, so I looked it up on PTS and got started.  Maybe this isn't
the right way to start, but I'm more interested in bug squashing and
maintenance for packages I use than anything else.

The package has a couple of bugs with patches.  I reviewed them, built a
NMU for each (both with version -9.1), and made sure I didn't introduce
any new lintian messages.  Since neither of these bugs appear to be rc,
I'm assuming an NMU would be inappropriate, but I did it for "practice".
If I were to make a similar NMU, would it be best to do a single one that
fixes both bugs, as well as other issue(s)?

The package isn't lintian clean, so I also started working on that.  My
lintian (lenny) doesn't report maintainer-script-ignores-errors although
it is reported at http://lintian.debian.org/full/bart%40samwel.tk.html .
I could also be that I'm working off the VCS that is listed on the PTS
instead of extracting the deb-src.  I went ahead and fixed
out-of-date-standards-version, which is simple enough.  The native package
issues are something I'm going to want to discuss with the maintainer(s)
or debian-devel, since the upstream appears to be Ubuntu and I'd normally
consider that downstream from Debian.  I think I know how to convert it to
be a non-native package, but I'm not sure if that will mess things up.

I looked at debian-rules-calls-debhelper-in-odd-order, but the debian/rules
in the current version looks fine.  I looked through the source of that
lintian check and it looks like it's buggy.  It doesn't pay attention to
any -p option passed to the dh_* utility, so it reports an error when
dh_installdeb is invoked for package acpi-support-base after dh_builddeb
is invoked for package acpi-support -- not generally an error.  It looks
like a few of packages might be getting bad errors for the same reason
(http://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-rules-calls-debhelper-in-odd-order.html --
antlr and mtr, e.g.).  I think I can fix the issue with the lintian check,
but don't have a patch yet.  That means time to file a bug, right?  In the
meantime, should I simply ignore those lintian tags, or go ahead and
update acpi-support with overrides or fixes?  (I've already got patches
for both those approaches.)

Bart, I hope you don't mind I CC'd you; since this is basically all about
one of your packages, I figured you could be helpful.

Once I get something together that needs sponsoring, is mentors.debian.net
preferred hosting or would my own VPS be fine?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))