howto create debian package with conf files

Hello,

I would like to create a debian package for a simple project that I've created. The project contains only scripts, so there is no makefile or anything like that. For the script to work I would like to prompt for some simple questions like "what url should be used", "what organisation does this computer belong to".

I've created a postinst script that asks these questions and writes them in a configuration file. (and this configuration file is listed in conffiles)

Now the problem that I have is that when I reinstall this package, or upgrade it, all the questions are asked again.

After some research I'm still not able to find a simple example or howto to do this right.

- Is it necessary to use debconf to accomplish this?
- I thought that the postinst script was called with an argument install/upgrade/configure and so I could ask my question only when it was and install or configure, but this doesnt work. apperantly upgrading a package also uses argument configure...

I've tried to look at packages like postfix, to see how they do it, but those are to difficult for my simple scripting skills :-(

Regards,
Luke