Automated checks for correct ‘build’ and ‘clean’ behaviour

Howdy mentors,

I've seen some discussion around the topic of Debian packages which
don't clean properly in their ‘clean’ target, and others that fail if
the ‘build’ target is invoked twice in succession.

Are there automated checks one can invoke on a local machine to make
sure a package behaves properly in these respects? Perhaps using a
‘pbuilder’ environment?

--
 \         “If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we |
  `\           despise, we don't believe in it at all.” —Noam Chomsky, |