Re: Need some tips on building Debian packages

> > It occurred to me that I could try to work around
> this by using a
> > build directory that is completely outside of the
> source code tree.

Hello,
   My own experience is something like this; by the
way, I am also a newbie to packaging, so this is just
what works for me, not necessarily what's right.

1) I use automake/autoconfig, and I've got it set up
properly. I develop my code using the
config/make/install lifecycle.
2) When I'm ready to distribute, I run "make
distcheck", which gives me a .tar.gz of my source.
3) Next, I unzip this into its own directory, which
gives me a directory with the correct version number
that I can then add the debian/ files to.
4) Now, just use the debian build tools as normal,
specifying the unzipped directory as the current
source to build the diff from, and the zipped file as
the .orig.tar.gz file.

Again, I want to make it very clear that I'm new to
this process, and that I don't endorse my own method.
I came up with it before I knew what the "-i" switch
does, because I needed to exclude some sources from
the .orig.tar.gz that dpkg-buildpackage automatically
added. As I learn more about dpkg, I'll definitely
toss out my hackneyed way of doing things.

Also, dpkg-buildpackage helped me avoid dealing with a
whole bunch of tools; I found it much easier to get
started using this than to use the individual tools
directly. (Except dh_make; that's quite useful, too.)

-->Seth