Phony patch target: is it necessary ?

Hello everybody,

there was recently a discussion on this list about the necessity of
using $(QUILT_STAMPFN) instead of patch as a patching target. I had a
look at /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make and /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make
and realised that only Quilt makes the patch target phony. Is there
actually a good reason for this? I was considering fixing all our
packages in Debian Med and maybe ask the Quilt and Dpatch maintainers to
standardise their target names, but maybe the simplest solution is to
make the patch rule not phony?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy