Re: Trying to understand patch management - in combination with version control

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 01:04, Andreas Schildbach <andreas@schildbach.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am maintaining a rather large package and have decided to use a
> version control system (SVN).
>
> I have already svn-inject'ed the existing package into my repository.
> Since the original source is (in its current form) not re-distributable
> (due to licensing issues), I decided to use mergeWithUpstream-mode and
> complement this with a patch system (most likely quilt).
>
> Now, when I (or a co-maintainer) check out the project from SVN, I get
> (as expected) a nearly empty project directory, containing just the
> debian directory. But, how am I supposed to actually create the patches
> that go into debian/patches? My current understanding is: I
> modify/delete/create a set of files and use something like
> interdiff/debdiff to extract the changeset. But in the case of
> mergeWithUpstream-mode there is no file to modify... Don't tell me I
> have to write patches "by hand" (-:

Probably the easier solution here is dpatch, with its option
--debianonly: it will untar the orig upstream tarball in a temporary
location, add the debian dir, all in a subshell; then you can change
the files as needen, then "exit" the subshell, and dpatch will
automatically the patch to debian/patches. Other interesting options
are "-a" and "-0".

If you're using quilt and mergeWithUpstream, then you need to untar
manually the upstream tarball, cp the debian/ dir from the working
copy checkout, <do your quilt workflow>, take the generated patch and
move back to the working copy.

Sandro