Re: Trying to understand patch management - in combination with version control

On 9/3/08, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>  Le Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:04:12PM +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :
>
> > Andreas Schildbach <andreas@schildbach.de> writes:
>  >
>  > > I am maintaining a rather large package and have decided to use a
>  > > version control system (SVN).
>  >
>  > An unfortunate choice of VCS, since it is far behind more modern VCS
>  > software for flexibility of management. Any of Git, Bazaar, Darcs, or
>  > (perhaps) Mercurial would be a better choice for a new project IMHO.
>

> Sure, but Andreas wrote that he needs the MergeWithUpstream feature of
>  svn-buildpackage because the upstream source contains
>  non-redistributable material.

The bzr equivalent of svn-buildpackage (the strangely named
bzr-builddeb) has a command "bd-do" which supports exactly this
use-case.  For a merge-with-upstream package it exports the package,
then runs the command you specify in the source tree, then copies back
the changes in the debian/ directory - so, for example,  'bzr bd-do
dpatch-edit-patch 01_foo' will do what you'd hope it to do.

It would presumably be fairly simple to implement this functionality
in the other *-buildpackage programs.