Re: ftp-masters

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> (30/07/2008):
> > Because it never reach the archive, so it's better to keep the same
> > version for a REJECTED package: jumping revision is useless.
>
> There's no reason not to increment the version. You've made a release,
> and have made changes to that release. Whether it actually hits the
> archive is immaterial. You just build with the appropriate -v option,
> and you're done.

And when one checks in which revision this or that happened, that's
quite misleading not to see any upload in the archive matching those
revisions (yeah for QA work!).

> Moreover, a new revision makes it easier for everyone to follow what
> had changed between a version which was reviewed by the ftpmasters and
> the next version that was uploaded.

That was already discussed at length in another mentors.d.n thread
(other threads actually). Improving the mentoring system seems to be the
key (at least to me). Maybe Signum could post some report on his GSOC
debexpo project?

> There's nothing magical about the -1 version number.

There's no need to keep intermediate work-in-progress never-uploaded
not-matching-anything-in-the-archive revision.

Mraw,
KiBi.