Building a build environment

I am just getting started in Debian package building and I need to know if this idea is valid or if there is a better way. It's my understanding that building Debian packages is best done in a Sid environment. Since I'm not running Sid on any of my machines, I had the though of using VirtualBox on my Ubuntu machine to create a clean Sid build environment. Does this make sense?

Also, the wide array of tools available to me is pretty overwhelming. pBuilder, cowbuilder, cowdancer, quilt, etc... The list is quite long and I'm not sure which one is old, new, mature, good or bad. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie packager that just wants a simple setup that works? What do you use?

Thanx!
  Richard