Re: new maintainer questions

2008/7/22 Andreas Schildbach <andreas@schildbach.de>:
> 1) Is is actually needed to do the packaging work on a Debian system, or
> would a derivative like Ubuntu also do? I would always test my package
> on a "real" Debian before putting it up for sponsoring or uploading, but
> having to do actual development on Debian would mean a parallel
> installation of a Debian Desktop. Those of you packaging for both Debian
> and Ubuntu, do you switch systems all the time?

I use Ubuntu (Hardy ATM), but the important thing to do before
uploading to -mentors or ftpmaster is to build the package in a sid
chroot.

Having made it into sid, packages get synced into Ubuntu automatically
provided that there are no Ubuntu changes to be merged. Intrepid has
just gone into Debian sync freeze, so if you want your package in
Intrepid, you will have to file a LP bug and give a reason.

Regards

Jeff