Re: A few Questions: Creating an arch indep pkg.

Brian <junkmail_5412@comcast.net> writes:

> Q1)
> What's the difference between Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Depends?

Please read the Debian Policy. These fields are described there,
especially in §7.7, "Relationships between source and binary packages
- `Build-Depends', `Build-Depends-Indep', `Build-Conflicts',
`Build-Conflicts-Indep'".

> Q2)
> What should my debian/rules .PHONY line look like?
>
> I guess it to be??
> .PHONY: build clean binary-indep binary install

I don't try maintaining the .PHONY rule on a separate line. I append
to the .PHONY rule immediately before each phony target, so that it's
clear at each target whether it's part of the .PHONY rule or not.

=====
.PHONY: install
install:
        # foo

.PHONY: build
build:
        # bar
=====

This way, the .PHONY rule is built up to contain all the right
targets, and it's easier to maintain as the targets themselves change
(I'm much less likely to miss the requirement to change .PHONY when a
target changes).

Every target which is not intended to result in a file of the same
name should be appended this way to the .PHONY rule.

> Q3)
> Are there any well built packages that are similar? So I can copy
> their templates?

The 'dh-make' package installs a tool intended to give you a good
starting point for making a Debian package of an existing source tree.
Install that, and refer to its documentation.

You should become thoroughly familiar with the Developer's Reference.
It's available in the 'developers-reference' package, and is one of
many good documents available from <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/>.

--
 \         “Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to |
  `\                        live in an institution.” —Henry L. Mencken |