Re: Problem with implicit rule for .o files and overriding of CXXFLAGS.

George Danchev wrote:

> On Monday 07 July 2008 16:39:14 Charles Plessy wrote:
>> Le Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 09:34:33PM +0300, Yavor Doganov a écrit :
>> > Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> Hello,

>> > The matter is more complex in general; add here the well known fact
>> > that a truckload of upstream makefiles/build systems is broken.
>>
>> Well, this is why I tried to write something in the wiki page that is
>> supposed to be something to read for upstream maintainers. But I am not
>> a C programmer, I do not think I can improve what I wrote any further.
>
> It is not that much related to the C programming language, nor to the GNU
> implementation for it (compiler, linker, standard library), nor with any
> other GNU programming language implementation (like the ones for C++ or Ada),
> it is the GNU build system (autotools, make) which adds the complexity.

FWIW, in this case the problem was "clever" use of (i think standard) make and
implicit rules. Using the gnu build system would have actually avoided this
issue, as automake puts flags in other variables and doesn't rely on implicit
rules.

--

  Felipe Sateler