Re: Factorised code for adding a file in /etc/apache2/conf.d/ and restarting apache ?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:51:47PM +0900, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 11:05:27AM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> > Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> writes:

> > > You can add that file or the link unconditionally.
> >
> > That would really upset me if I were a systems administrator.  Most of my
> > Apache configurations have multiple virtual hosts, and having some package
> > randomly add itself to the namespace of every virtual host I run, possibly
> > taking over pages that were currently serving some other purpose, would be
> > extremely annoying.
> >
> > I'd want at least a debconf prompt before something added itself to the
> > global Apache configuration.
>
> Well, it definitely makes sense, but it makes me wonder if my goal is
> achievable. The frontend I package is as useful on purely local systems
> (a laptop for instance) as on servers (indeed if you search for `emboss
> explorer' you will find sites running it). So if the package does things
> automatically, it can annoy system administrators who run it on a
> dedicated web server. But if the package pulls apache2 and installs its
> configuration automatically, end users will benefit of it as just
> another graphical interface, with the only peculiarity that it needs a
> browser to be used.
>
> How can this conflict of interest be solved? EMBOSS explorer is a nice
> interface, and I really would like to provide to end users with no
> command-line interactions with the system. How about making it available
> only for localhost by default?

Why not have your package create its own apache instance, with its own
config and its own port ?

[ Unfortunately, apache will also be running by itself, because we still
lack something to handle that. Same applies with gnome-user-share ]

Mike