Re: RFS: genwebgallery

schoenfeld / in-medias-res <schoenfeld@in-medias-res.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:37:37PM +0200, markus schnalke wrote:
> > genwebgallery is written in sh, without bashism.
>
> please don't get me wrong, but your script (regardless of weither its
> good in what it does) is (including comments) 260 lines long. I wonder
> if that size really qualifies for an own package. Did you check if your
> software could be included in another package? I haven't checked it
> properly, but eventually 'debian-goodies' would be a candidate.
> If you think it justifies to be a package on its own, why do you think
> so? IANADD but it could enhance your chances to find a sponsor if you
> give a statement on that:-)

It's an interesting point you have.
In contrast, I would say: Why are there so many large packages with
lots of dependencies. Why dont spit them to make them small and
simple?

I know, it's not that easy. :-)
But what I want to say is, that I think packages should be small and
simple.
This is the way to have less bugs and better customizable setups.

You probably read, that I work on a small image resizing program. The
reason is, that `imagemagick' as well as `graphicsmagick' are far to
large packages when I only want some image resizing. (I had to install
80MB for `imagemagick' on a fresh base installation!)
I think it would be better if ImageMagick would be a few separate
programs, and a virtual package that depends on all of them.
Just like it was done with OOo some time ago.
But I know, that it's not so easy to split program suites up.

What there should be, are small alternatives to ImageMagick and
GraphicsMagick, with only some of it's features.
Cause I haven't found them, I work on programming one.

But back to `genwebgallery':

I think packages should be like programs according to the Unix
philosophy:
- small and simple
- do one thing well

That's why `genwebgallery' is like it is.

Anyway: If someone has good suggestions, please tell me.

meillo