--as-needed

2008/4/29 Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>:
>  You could try and use LDFLAGS to pass -Wl,--as-needed (linker flags).
>  But since it could break silently some parts of your build, it shouldn't
>  be used without -Wl,-z,defs which will help spot possible missing -l$foo
>  options in intermediate objects (if any). You can pass LDFLAGS to the
>  ./configure script.

I uploaded tesseract-ocr 2.03-1 with --as-needed, but have had this
bug reported:

i.e. the test case in the bug report segfaults if tesseract is
compiled with gcc 4.2 with or with --as-needed. If compiled with gcc
4.3, the test case segfault if --as-needed is used, but not otherwise.

Is this a gcc bug?

If I make tesseract depend on gcc 4.3 (is this a good idea?) and take
out --as-needed, what do I do about warnings like:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/tesseract-ocr/usr/bin/tesseract
shouldn't be linked with libz.so.1 (it uses none of its symbols).

?

Other than this test case, tesseract works fine.

Regards

Jeff