Re: RFS: automake-idl

Bernhard R. Link schrieb:
-Snipp-
> Some things from a first shallow look:
>
> * None of those packages contains config.guess/config.sub nor uses them.
>   So there is no need to copy them in before configure.
Removed.

> * the repeated use of $(CURDIR) where a . or nothing at all would
>   have sufficed is a bit annoying. (especially when done unsafe and
>   unecessarily adding new problems if paths contain spaces).
Actually, the unprotected use was only in the parts created by dh_make.
I changed those. Also, I made the strings a bit shorter by using the
variable $(DESTDIR) instead of $(CURDIR)/debian/foo. But leaving out
$(CURDIR) completely... I like how it reminds me of where executables
are and relative to which path I am working. Is it really that bad?

> * having a build-indep and a build-arch (the latter doing nothing)
>   would be nice.
Added. But install still depends on build => build-indep. I didn't
understand that part of the policy (ch 4.9) very well: Should I make
build-arch return with exit status 2 or can I just leave it as an empty
target?

> * most things starting with # from the templates can be removed when
>   not needed. That makes the whole thing much more readable.
Removed. I kept them as a handy reference of what tools are available...

> * The "For details, see ..." in the package description looks like a
>   candidate for a Homepage field instead.
Homepage:-field added.

> * Copyright information is incomplete. While copyright information
>   of the build files if often forgotten (but better should not be),
>   at least automake-idl seems to contain at least a partial fork
>   auf automake (as opposed to be generated or copied by automake).
>   Even if you do not install that stuff, it's copyrights and licenses
>   should be listed.
For autoconf-orb I agree, the information is missing. I don't want to
add comments assigning the copyright information to upstream without
talking to them, first.

On that note: would it even be Ok for me to add such copyright notices
to the files, copying information from the COPYING file? Or is this not
valid?

But with automake-idl, where copyright information is present, I made a
mistake. That package is GPL2, not GPL3 and the copyright holder is the
FSF, not the upstream author of autoconf-orb! Sorry about that, it has
been corrected in the newest upload.

> And let me say that GPLv3+ is a very strange license for those files,
> as it makes them explicitly impossible to be used by GPLv2 programs.
For autoconf-orb, I will ask.

> It might be adviseable to put the license information into the distributed
> .m4 files, so if they end up in a GPLv2 project, they can more easily
> be spotted.
Same as above. I can add notices once I got an Ok.

> The missing copyright information in most of the files also makes me
> quite suspicious. It is not unusal for such collections to just contain
> things from other sources and missing attribution (and thus a license
> to distribute them). Some more checks into that might be appropriate.
-Snipp-

I took a few samples of source code and ran it through Google. It either
didn't find any other matches or the surrounding text didn't even
remotely look like the source-code.

A new version of both packages is on mentors.debian.net.

Thank you for your input,
Olaf Mandel
--
Olaf Mandel              eMail Olaf@Mandel.name