Re: Need some tips on building Debian packages

OoO En  cette soirée bien amorcée  du vendredi 30 mai  2008, vers 22:07,
"Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32@gmail.com> disait:

> I wonder how you do your day-to-day work on building debs?  I have
> followed the dh_make approach of opening the source, and dh_make gives
> me template files in  "debian" for  control, rules and such.  I
> understand completely that all these different files are just doing
> the same thing as the one big SPEC file does in an rpm framework.
> After configuring those, I try to do a package build.  While testing
> this out, I realize I've made some mistakes while attempting to revise
> the Makefile to match the packaging requirements.  It appears to me
> that I have to 1) move the debian directory to a safe place, 2) erase
> the code tree, 3) untar a fresh copy, 4) copy the debian directory
> back into the source tree, and 5) start over trying to fix the
> Makefile.  Is that how you do it?  One suggestion I receive is to do
> this work in a directory managed by rcs or subversion.  I think that
> would be fine too, but harder to set up when you just want to quickly
> build some small package that somebody distributed for, say, RedHat or
> such. And the Debian diff for the package would then pick up all the
> rcs files, right?

You can use svn-buildpackage. Or  git-buildpackage. I use the latest one
even for very small modifications. It is then easy to turn a change into
upstream source in a patch in debian/patches.

> In a test case I was working on, the build failed because of a
> mismatch between the libtool & automake that were used to create the
> source_orig.tar.gz file and the versions available on the current
> system.  As a result, it was necessary to run "autogen.sh" in the
> source directory before trying configure.  That process creates a
> bunch of files that should NOT be included in the Debian diff file,
> such as changes in config.sub or such, but the Debian package does
> include those things.

In  the  clean  rule  of  debian/rules, you  should  just  remove  those
generated files.
--
No fortunes found