Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?

Hi,

Why using Debian and not another distro? Its a voluntary project without
comercial interests. I like this philosophy and it seems to function
quite well regarding its quality and as Debian is the mother of many
other distros.

I would like to see some more software concerning the topics I am
working on. My main activitities are on heat transfer and fluid
mechanics problems. Mostly to laboratory experimental techniques, but
also on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD, i.e. computer simulations of
heat and fluid flows). I already have made some contributions to Open
Source Software and Debian as I am upstream developer of Gpiv c.s., of
which I also have submitted the debian packages (Unfortunately, no
sponsor found for new upstream release).

Since recently I am also working with the OpenFoam software, a CFD
package. I think it would be a good idea to have this software in Debian
as well. Compiling and installing of this package is very complex and
therefore a large amount of mails at the forums of this software is
dedicated to the installation. The building system seems to be quite old
and may need an upgrade, like with cmake, before it might be possible to
debianize the software. Also the package includes other, third party
software that is already in Debian (like openmpi) or somebody is working
on it (paraview). These should be removed from the upstream source.

Because of time restrictions I'd prefer to work on my own (upstream and
debian packages) Gpiv c.s and to start with the debianizing OpenFoam
than going through a NM process. Hopefully there will be DD's who are
willing to upload these packages, because it is very frustrating to do a
big efford which finally turns out is not appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerber
--
developer of Gpiv: software for Particle Image Velocimetry

GnuPG fingerprint:
BF0A BBFE 5623 9761 C9E1 7C82 8B08 F586 D39A 2B64