Re: RFS: obm

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 00:40 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO En cette  fin de matinée radieuse du mardi 06  mai 2008, vers 11:56,
> Sylvain Garcia <sylvain.garcia@aliasource.fr> disait:
>
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > obm        - Open Business Management
> > obm-conf   - Open Business Management
> > obm-core   - Open Business Management
> > obm-storage - Open Business Management
> > obm-ui - Open Business Management
>
> I  don't   really  understand  why  configuration   files  are  packaged
> separately.  You  should merge  obm-conf  with  obm-core. Moreover,  why
> obm-storage  is a  separate package?   This would  be  understandable if
> there were  multiple backends (mysql, postgresql).  Would  obm be usable
> without  obm-storage?   Moreover,  seperating  obm-storage  of  obm-core
> forces you  to ask  for all database  parameters again. Worst,  the user
> can't leave password field empty  when setting database because he needs
> the password to configure obm-core afterwards. At least, obm-core can be
> configured  before obm-storage. The  user will  be disappointed  in this
> case.

In fact, obm can be install on many servers, and it's always like this
real install of obm on huge site. Moreover, Actually there are just 4
package (obm-conf, obm-core, obm-storage and obm-ui) butI work to
publish other package to install Full OBM ( mail, ldap...). At the end
it will be:
obm-ldap
obm-cyrus
obm-postfix
obm-services
obm-samba
obm-satellite
libobmsatellite-perl
libobm-perl

All package of use obm-conf, and obm-conf must be installed on all
serveur of obm architecture.

For the 4 package you can have obm-storage on the first serveur, and the
real application, obm-core on the second. But in order to make upgrade
of BD with obm-storage, upgrade script can use API of obm in order to
move calendar data or crm data, or other. So obm-core is required by
obm-storage.

> When  upgrading  packages,  it  is  customary  to  be  able  to  upgrade
> conffiles.  You use  an alternate  mechanism that  install configuration
> files  only  on  first install.  This  is  broken:  you should  use  ucf
> instead.  The  user  will be  proposed  with  an  upgrade path.  If  the
> configuration files are not generated, just ship them as conffiles.
Ok, i must look this to use ucf.

> For web  server configuration, I think  that you should  link instead of
> copy.  If the  user  want to  modify the  file,  he will  copy the  file
> himself. If  he don't,  the file will  be automatically  upgraded during
> upgrade.

I look this, too.

--
Sylvain Garcia