Re: ITR: xmlrpc-epi

Hi Robin, I'm ready to do the final tests on this package.

> I have finally had time to update upstream and produce a new Debian
> package that hopefully resolves the previous issues.

You've chosen 'extra' for all packages - that's OK as long as that is
what you intended. Only the -dbg package has to be extra but the whole
issue of Priority: optional/extra (and Section:) is up for debate anyway
so it's not an issue.

Feel free to drop debian/docs in future revisions too - it does nothing.

There's a typo in debian/control:
 and is therefor useful for applications which implement their own transport or
        ^^^^^^^^
s/therefor/therefore/

No need to fix that now either.

You might want to consider a pkgconfig file for future upstream versions
(not a Debian thing, just advice from another upstream library
developer). A .pc file can make it easier for other packages to work
with your library.

On the topic of upstream issues for future reference, consider versioned
symbols. Take a look at libqof1 and my current upstream development
project, estron, or contact me off-list. Versioned symbols are a simple
addition to Makefile.am and a single extra three line file - at least at
the start. Subsequent work is only in adding lines if new symbols are
introduced during the life of the current SONAME. The advantage is that
if application bar only uses certain symbols from libfoo, if libfoo
upgrades without needing a SONAME change, bar can have a lower version
dependency on libfoo when it is next rebuilt than it would otherwise
require. If application baz then uses the new symbols in libfoo, it
would use the higher versioned dependency. This can make life a lot
easier within a distribution.

Versioned symbols and pkgconfig files are all extra work for library
upstream development but worth understanding.

> There is one additional file that is licensed LGPL, but this is not part
> of the library but a code example included within the samples
> directory (which are not used for the building of the library).
>
> This is also documented in debian/copyright :-

Good.

> I have also taken the opportunity to add some of the other X-**** fields
> to debian/copyright as per the discussion from
> http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

(Must try those out myself).

> and ./configure is no longer called with --host

:-) If xmlrpc-epi is ever to be crossbuilt, the conditional use of
--host would need to be supported:
ifneq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE),$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE))
CROSS= --build $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) --host $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
else
CROSS= --build $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)
endif

then $(CROSS) replaces --build $(...

More at: http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianGuide

Don't change it now, I'm not sure xmlrpc-epi is going to be a candidate
for cross-building any time soon.

> I have uploaded a new version to mentors for your review :-
>
> It is now version 0.54-3
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> libxmlrpc-epi-dev - Development files for libxmlrpc-epi0, a XML-RPC
> request library
> libxmlrpc-epi0 - A XML-RPC request serialisation/deserialisation library
> libxmlrpc-epi0-dbg - Debug symbols for libxmlrpc-epi0, a XML-RPC request
> library

Should be OK to upload tonight.

--

Neil Williams