information required

hello dear

   My name is sadia and i am student of MS(computer science).
   i want some information relating to bug #436681 that has been fixed
   now. i have two problems in checking this bug:

  Q 1- please tell me how can i install the new package of
         "backuppc_3.0.0- 4.diff.gz" on my PC ??  As  i have already installed
          the old version of package "backuppc 2.1.2.6" directly through internet
         but can not install the new version of this package. I have also tried
          by downloading  the new package from this following path
       http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/08/28/debian/pool/main/b/backuppc/backuppc_3.0.0-4.diff.gz

But when i try to install it by giving commands (i.e "aptitude install" or "dpkg -i"), it do not install this new package and give error of zero bytes like this. kindly tell me the proper way or command to install this new package.

Q2- In which language the code of backuppc packageis written??, is it perl or
        in some other language??
(as i have found some of the syntax is different
        from perl)

Thanx in Avance!!!
bye