Re: Test suites

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 14:58 +0200, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
>> Hi mentors,
>>
>> A little question regarding automatic test suites :
>>
>> When a package provides such a suite should the normal package build process :
>>
>> 1) Always run the test suite (for example to catch bugs that may not
>> occur on the developper's architecture)
>
> Yes. (That is the main point of having a test suite.)

I agree with this (of course with the caveat that
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck should disable the test suite).  But I'll add
a minor and maybe obvious exception -- one should disable or rework any
parts of the test suite that would need any of the following:

* An X server (e.g. for GUI tests)
* A working network connection
* Write access to the file system outside the build directory (with
  obvious exceptions like /tmp)
* Interactivity

None of these are guaranteed to be available on the buildds.  (Although
minimal interactivity could be scripted with expect or some such.)

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/