Re: help needed regarding installation

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 17:13 +0500, Zainab Rehman wrote:
> I am trying to install a source package "bnfc" using different package
> management tools and tried options but having problems:

You need to put some internet-based repositories in your apt sources.

http://www.uk.debian.org/mirrors/list

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

Replace the location with one close to your own location.

You *must* include a deb-src repository (and it needs to be an official
Debian one, not just mentors.debian.net or some private mirror).

> E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

This means you have no deb-src lines in /etc/apt/sources.list or in
files beneath /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

> debianabc:/home/fast/debian# apt-get build-dep bnfc
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

You cannot download source without a deb-src.

> Error Identified: devscripts package was to be installed, so i tried
> installing that using aptitude but....

You also don't appear to have a normal Debian mirror available.
deb ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

Whatever sources you have (maybe CD/DVD or some other local mirror) is
incomplete because devscripts is the correct package name.

> debian:~/debian# aptitude install devscripts
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
> "devscripts"

Which means that your apt sources are broken. Add a local primary mirror
from the link above.

--

Neil Williams