Re: RFS: ext3grep

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, rercola@acm.jhu.edu wrote:

Hi world,
I am about to upload a fixed package for review, but I have a question - I spoke to the author of ext3grep about backtrace.cc and the other GPLv3 files, and he informed me that that was an oversight when he switched the license from GPLv3 to GPLv2, and has been corrected in Subversion.

Great! To be clear about my remarks, I'm not a Debian Developer, but I am a DM and I maintain a couple of things (sometimes with man pages written by you!).

Is the Right Thing to do here to modify the orig.tar.gz to contain the GPLv2 files, to have a patch modify the license headers appropriately (eww) at compile-time, or something else?

The most reasonable thing to do is to both:

1. Modify the files after you unpack the tarball, but before you build the package, and

2. Explain the reasoning for the patch in the debian/copyright file.

As for the kernel-jbd.h, a similar question stands. As far as I can see, the clearest thing to do is to have it use the kernel's jbd.h and make kernel-headers a Build-Depends, but that still raises the question of what to do about the orig.tar.gz.

Just build-depends on the kernel headers - why would you need to modify the orig.tar.gz for this?

I have added a correct watch file and Homepage tag to my package.

Great!

I believe including debug symbols is important here, as there are known
bugs in the software, and the upstream author's first command to anyone who reports a bug is to rebuild with the options included in my package, including debug symbols. This will save Debian users time, and help improve the software. :)

I agree with this sentiment for a program like this.

-- Asheesh.

--
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
		-- Mae West