Re: Modifications to included PHP libs

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 00:24 +0200, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> Neil,
>
> thanks for your comprehensive mail. To be honest you didn't bolster me
> up with your mail.

It was my intention to ensure that you stopped to think before
proceeding so that was almost inevitable.

> The package I was talking about already has a version in debian and I'm
> thinking about adopting it because it was removed from testing.

Packages are not removed without good reason and this package seems to
be no exception. Getting it into a fit state for reintroduction will not
be easy.

>  One of
> the reasons was included code that would be duplicated in debian. So I
> already had in mind much of what you wrote and I really feel like you're
> right at all.
> I guess I need to reconsider my intention...

I can only echo Don - there are lots of other packages that will be so
much easier to manage. Drop this one and find another, possibly using
these as guidelines in your selection:

1. PHP is not easy and PHP packages can be a real headache for all
concerned. Pick a different language, it is much easier that way -
promise.
2. Compiled packages are not scary - the documentation is inherently
biased towards compiled packages and creating a Debian package
from ./configure;make;make install is, IMHO, always the easiest way to
learn Debian packaging.
3. Packages that have been removed from Debian are *not* easier to
package than new packages - by definition, all removed packages have
serious or grave errors that the previous maintainer was unable to fix.
The tiny benefit of already having the (outdated) packaging files to
hand is massively outweighed by the amount of work that is usually
required to fix the bugs that got the package removed in the first
place. (You usually also have to rewrite large portions of the old
packaging code to catch up with the current Standards-Version so it
really can be a lot more work.) Debian doesn't remove packages just
because the previous maintainer made such a 'good' job that s|he got
bored with maintaining the package. :-)

--

Neil Williams