Re: Installing BNFC(a non-native Debian)package

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Zainab Rehman <l050943@nu.edu.pk> wrote:

> We are using GUI-based Debian,we have explored "Synaptic Package Manager"
> the tool used in debian for package management. It is showing two type of
> packages "installed" and "not installed" and the package we want to use i.e
> BNFC isn't visible in any of the categories.

Based on this I assume you are using the testing distribution:

http://packages.debian.org/bnfc

Based on this, it looks like bnfc was removed from testing because it
no longer builds, possibly due to a change in the haskell compiler:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bnfc/news/20080229T233910Z.html

It looks like there is a patch available, but the maintainer has not
uploaded a fixed version:

http://bugs.debian.org/460386

> We have downloaded bnfc_2.2.orig.tar, bnfc_2.2-3.diff and bnfc_2.2-3.dsc,
> but dont know what to do next.

The package needs a new maintainer since the current one has not fixed
a release critical bug for a couple of months.

If you would like to ensure bnfc reaches lenny and thus the next
release, please contact the maintainer and get them to fix the bug. If
you cannot contact them, please follow these processes:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-beyond-pkging.en.html#s-mia-qa
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-adopting

While you are doing that, have a look at the debian-mentors FAQ and
the new maintainers guide:

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

If you don't want to do any of this, just download the package from
sid and install it:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/bnfc

If that doesn't work, try rebuilding it the package:

dpkg-source -x bnfc_2.2-3.dsc
cd bnfc-2.2
dpkg-buildpackage -b

--