Re: The get-orig-source target as stated in Policy 4.9

Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> writes:

> What I would like to know is, what was the original purpose for the
> get-orig-source target. Maybe that would clear up what the
> get-orig-source target is supposed to do.

It's been in Policy from before upgrading-checklist was started and
there's no mention of it in the changelog, so my guess is that you'd have
to go rather far back in time to find the original discussion.

Personally, I've always read it has emphasizing an entirely different part
than what people are talking about here.  Rather than focusing on the
current version bit, I always focused on the "does any necessary
rearrangement to turn it into the original source tar file format
described below" bit.  I provide this target only for my packages that
require repackaging of the upstream source as a way of automating that
repackaging.

It's a weird target in various respects.  For example, should you declare
the programs it needs in Build-Depends?  I don't think so, and it would
feel weird to me to do so, but as a result I use software in
get-orig-source for which there's no hint in the source package control
file might be needed (wget is the most common).