Re: Writing get-orig-source targets to conform with policy

Hello,

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Andres Mejia wrote:
> Second question is regarding a get-orig-source target I have for the package
> mediatomb. It goes like:
>
> # Common variables used to ease maintenance of the get-orig-source target.
> MEDIATOMB_TARBALL = mediatomb-0.10.0.tar.gz
> MEDIATOMB_VERSION = 0.10.0
> CORRECT_CHECKSUM = 2436c73de4ac5f3ba1575f7ee93a0430

Why have you hardcoded the version number and checksum for the
tarball?

The way I understand it, the "get-orig-source" target is used to get
newer upstream sources.

Policy 4.9 says:

	`get-orig-source' (optional)
	     This target fetches the most recent version of the original
				 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	     source package from a canonical archive site (via FTP or WWW, for
	     example), does any necessary rearrangement to turn it into the
	     original source tar file format described below, and leaves it in
	     the current directory.

So your script is mainly a tool to provide an "automated" way for
someone to get a newer version of upstream source re-packaged exactly
the way you have done with the current version.

If you want to document how/why you re-packaged the source for
Debian, this should be in README.Debian-source.

     This target may be invoked in any directory, and should take care
     to clean up any temporary files it may have left.

I think this means that you should probably run the download in a
temporary directory using mktemp and then create/move the output
to the directory just above the current directory.

I hope this clarifies most of your questions.

Regards,

Kapil.