Re: RFC/RFS: zerofree - zero free blocks from ext2/3 file-systems

Début du message réexpédié :

De : Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net>
Date : 6 février 2008 17:25:15 HNEC
Objet : RFC/RFS: zerofree - zero free blocks from ext2/3 file-systems

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "zerofree".

Hi,

I just updated the package:
 * removed the Dm-Upload-Allowed field;
 * corrected a typo in the manpage.

Same location, same version number.

Regards, Thibaut.

Note that I have set the Dm-Upload-Allowed field. This package is unrelated to the work I usually do with my sponsor Christoph Haas, which is why I prefer to ask here rather than to him.

* Package name    : zerofree
  Version         : 1.0.1
  Upstream Author : Ron Yorston
* URL             : http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/uml/
* License         : GPL-2+
  Programming Lang: C
ITP : http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi? bug=462091
  Section         : admin

 Zerofree finds the unallocated, non-zeroed blocks in an ext2 or ext3
file-system and fills them with zeroes. This is useful if the device on
 which this file-system resides is a disk image. In this case,
 depending on the type of disk image, a secondary utility may be able
 to reduce the size of the disk image after zerofree has been run.
 .
 The usual way to achieve the same result (zeroing the unallocated
 blocks) is to run "dd" do create a file full of zeroes that takes up
 the entire free space on the drive, and then delete this file. This
 has many disadvantages, which zerofree alleviates:
  * it is slow;
  * it makes the disk image (temporarily) grow to its maximal extent;
  * it (temporarily) uses all free space on the disk, so other
    concurrent write actions may fail.
 .
 Zerofree has been written to be run from GNU/Linux systems installed
 as guest OSes inside a virtual machine. If this is not your case, you
 almost certainly don't need this package.

The package appears to be lintian and linda clean.

The upload would fix this bugs: 462091 (ITP)

The package can be found on my personal repository:
- Source repository: deb-src http://www.lesia.obspm.fr/~paumard/ debian unstable main contrib non-free - dget http://www.lesia.obspm.fr/~paumard/debian/pool/main/z/ zerofree/zerofree_1.0.1-1.dsc

Kind regards
 Thibaut Paumard