Re: Copyright question

On 06/02/2008, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
>  3. All  advertising  materials  mentioning  features  or  use of this
>  software must display the following acknowledgement:
>  This  product  includes  software  developed  at  the  University  of
>  Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
>
>  4. The name of the  University,  the name of the  Laboratory,  or the
>  names  of  its  contributors  may  not  be used to endorse or promote
>  products  derived   from   this  software  without  specific  written
>  permission.
> --------------------
>
> I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
> someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?

See http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses, BSD-3 (without point 3.)
isn't a problem.

The advertising requirement (3.) is a problem, though.

Note that if a package isn't DFSG-free, it can't go to contrib either.
Contrib is for DFSG-free material depending on non-free (or contrib in
turn) stuff, see Policy 2.2.2.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois