Re: RFS: plr 1:8.2.0.7-3

Martin Pitt wrote:
hi,

Thomas Viehmann [2008-01-19  9:27 +0100]:
Without some further explanation I do not think I understand understand why

-PGXS := $(shell pg_config --pgxs)
+PGXS := /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk

is the correct fix as opposed to making libpq-dev's pg_config return the correct
path and making plr depend on a fixed version of libpq-dev.

It isn't. Quick intro:

 - Client-side PostgreSQL applications (which use libpq-dev) should
   usr /usr/bin/pg_config. This is the case for the vast majority of
   packages which deal with PostgreSQL.

 - Server-side packages like plr need to use the major version
   specific pg_config in /usr/lib/postgresql/<version>/bin/pg_config.

This schema makes it possible to build server-side extensions for
multiple major versions (like 8.2 and 8.3 at the moment), while not
being major version specific in libpq-dev.

Thus you should do

-PGXS := $(shell pg_config --pgxs)
+PGXS := $(shell /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/bin/pg_config --pgxs)

Martin
Ah, that makes more sense.  I'll fix it up and re-upload.

Thanks!

Barry deFreese