SONAME vs illegal package name

Hi,

I'm packaging OpenVAS and have the following problem.  The upstream package
for the component I am working on is called openvas-libraries, so I was
initially going to package it as libopenvas.  However, it contains two
libraries, libopenvas and libopenvas_hg and I was getting complaints that
libopenvas didn't match the SONAME (for libopenvas_hg.so), so I broke it down
into one package per library (and a dev package for each) - libopenvas and
libopenvas_hg.  However I'm now getting complaints that the package name of
libopenvas_hg is illegal.

I am involved in the upstream project and as a last resort could rename the
library although, obviously this may have a knock on for other developers and
is therefore something I'd like to avoid unless necessary.

Any suggestions about how to resolve this?  If the solution is to patch the
source to rename it, I'll probably patch it upstream.

Tim
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:timb@nth-dimension.org.uk>