Re: packaging advice and eventually RFS: osmo

Hi.

On 13/01/2008, Eike Nicklas wrote:
> The package appears to be lintian clean and builds fine in pbuilder.

Actually, no for the lintian part:
W: osmo source: desktop-file-but-no-dh_desktop-call

but that's nothing too dramatic, just read about it (-I option of
lintian), it's quite trivial to fix.

> Since this is my first package, it probably still contains many errors
> and it would be great if one of you could have a look at it and provide
> feedback, so that I can improve both the package and my skills. Once
> you believe the package is in a good shape, it would be great if someone
> could sponsor an upload for me.

You are already using LDFLAGS to pass -no-undefined. I'm wondering
whether you see the (relatively new) dpkg-shlibdeps warning, stating
that you're linking against things you shouldn't (because you're not
using any symbol of those libs)? You could try to play with
-Wl,--as-needed (together with the current flag) to see whether that
helps. That's a nice occasion to learn a bit about the following:
  objdump -x debian/osmo/usr/bin/osmo | grep NEEDED

You can also check how your Depends: line evolve, when this flag is
passed or not.

libpthread remains, but that's AFAICT harmless and it's quite a
particular problem (talked about with dpkg-dev developers IIRC).

About the --host and --build options passed to ./configure, I'd suggest
reading autotools-dev's README.Debian. Depending on whether you're
crosscompiling, you have to use the correct options. All details are
there IIRC.

Instead of mkdir -p + install, you might just want to use “dh_install
file location”.

> One comment:
> The upstream Makefile does not have a clean or distclean target and I
> currently do the cleaning 'by hand' in the rules file. I contacted
> upstream about adding a clean targed and they consider doing so when
> time permits.

I'm able to “make clean”, which cleans “po”, “src”, and “.”, and even to
“make distclean”. They might be doing an insufficient work but that's
better than nothing. I'm happy to see you've already reported that
upstream.

> Thanks a lot for your help,

That was a *very* quick review to help you find some stuff to work
on/learn from. Hope it'll keep you busy some moment. ;-)

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois