Re: RFS: libhugetlbfs

On 13/01/2008, Mel Gorman wrote:
> Dear mentors,

Maw,

> It builds these binary packages:
> libhugetlbfs - helper to back malloc(), text and data with hugepages
> libhugetlbfs-dev - libhugetlbfs Development library and Header Files

No:

W: libhugetlbfs source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.2 (current is 3.7.3)

Be sure you're running latest lintian, and not only on your binary, but
also on the source. Running it on the .changes is a way to do so (if you
didn't specify -b when building, otherwise you can feed both
_source.changes and _$arch.changes to lintian, if you build with -S and
then -b).

Ah. Actually it's not even source vs binary:

W: libhugetlbfs-dev: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
E: libhugetlbfs-dev: bad-version-in-relation depends: libhugetlbfs (= 1.2-1})
W: libhugetlbfs: shlib-with-executable-stack usr/lib/libhugetlbfs.so
E: libhugetlbfs: shlib-missing-in-control-file libhugetlbfs.so for usr/lib/libhugetlbfs.so
W: libhugetlbfs: unused-shlib-entry-in-control-file libhugetlbfs 1.2
W: libhugetlbfs: shlibs-declares-dependency-on-other-package ( >= 1:1.2)
W: libhugetlbfs: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

Of course -i -I to lintian will help you figure out what's happening.
ITP bug is quite trivial. The bad-version-in-relation… is only a typo in
debian/control.

> At this starting stage, I would be glad if someone would review the
> package. I know that starting packaging with a library  is generally
> frowned upon and no doubt mistakes will mean it is not quite ready for
> upload.

I'm quite surprized by your shlibs.local file. Did you read
libpkg-guide? As far as I can tell, you don't need such a file.
different reason. And you don't need to ensure that you are >= foo, <<
bar, because if you make some incompatible change, you have to bump the
SONAME and rename the binary package.

You probably want to version your library, using a 0 or 1 SONAME, so
that upgrades are then possible when new incompatible versions are
released.

> I wrote up the experiences while building the package at
> http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/docs/debianstart/ in case it's useful to
> anyone.

Thanks.

Cheers,