updating the patches

Hi all

I have a very naive question. I am involved in maintaining texmacs package.
This package has couple of Debian specific patches which are applied using
dptach. The files involved in these patches have been altered upstream in
the latest version 1.0.6.12 (Debian Sid currently has 1.0.6.11). So the old
patches no longer apply. What is the most efficient way in this scenario?
Do I just manually update the old patches to the new upstream version or is
there any easy way out of this. I don't mind modifying the patches
manually. But I just wanted to check how the experienced maintainers solve
this problem and what tools you guys use etc.,

regards
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi