Re: Hello

On 11-11-2007 19:08, Albert Lash wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 9:31 PM, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:

>> Thank you Felipe for your response. I appreciate your help as
>> unfortunately I don't have the wherewithal to learn the debian way on
>> my own at the moment. I'm still not convinced there are license
>> issues, but I'll hold off on figuring that out until I've figured out
>> the basics to debian package preparation.

	It is documented:

		http://bugs.debian.org/341864
		http://bugs.debian.org/341868

>>         The best way to get some feedback on your package
>> is make it ready for inclusion, prepare it in a way it
>> would be uploaded, than ask for feedback/sponsor, try to
>> avoid a blog page about it, write an e-mail with the details
>> and links.
>
> OK, I'll do that in the future. I'll likely keep blogging about the
> packages I prepare for my own reference.

	Sorry, I didn't express my self clearly, when I said
"try to avoid a blog page about it" I was trying to say that
you should try to avoid pointing "prospective sponsors" to a
Blog Page explaining what you have done, I had no intention
to say that you should stop blogging about it.

	On the contrary, you should definitely blog about it,
that can help people looking for more info about packaging
experiences (and of course, as you said, helps you as a
future reference), but with regards to packages that you would
like to add in Debian, you should write an e-mail to -mentors.

>>         There are sites like mentors.debian.net and
>> sponsors.debian.net that can definitely help you get your
>> package review.
>
> Are mentors for developers and sponsors for packages?

	No, they are different approaches to the same idea:
"help non-DDs get their packages sponsored and uploaded to
Debian".

> I've perused that but found it overwhelming, but with your suggestion
> I'll take another crack at it.

	Not only that, you should also take a look at other
packages, ask help in -mentors maillist or IRC channel, read
the Debian Policy, Debian Developers' Reference, -mentors
archive, if you can, talk with a friend, there are some nice
packaging tutorials made by DDs on IRC channels and wiki.

> Thanks again Felipe, I appreciate your assistance.

	You are welcome!
	Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)