Re: Sponsor Checklist

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:21:55 +0530
Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> I wish to know how you can evaluate skill level. For example, if ative
> contribution to a FOSS project is a required skill, I really won't fit
> in.

You mean upstream? No, it isn't a required skill for all maintainers
but it DOES affect how the sponsor assesses the capabilities of the
maintainer, especially with regard to packages that have a dead
upstream. All the Debian bugs for the package become the responsibility
of the maintainer - you - so if there is no upstream team, bugs that
would have just been forwarded now have to be fixed within Debian, by
the maintainer.

> But if it is just knowledge of issues with the package and
> packaging techniques, that's all right. Of course, I realize that it's
> my responsibilities to get bugs fixed as well.

That's the point - if you do not have the skills to fix upstream bugs,
you are dependent on upstream remaining viable and active. This may
seem fine now but it is not at all uncommon for a small but "active"
upstream team to become completely inactive quite suddenly due to
various "real-life" issues. This typically starts with a build up of
unfixed bugs and often escalates to one or more Release-Critical bugs
in Debian. You, as maintainer, *must* be able to fix these problems or
the package will be removed from Debian.

Sponsors who upload packages that result in more than a fair share of
RC bugs are not looked upon favourably by the release team or other
parts of Debian. (This is why I do not sponsor PHP packages, despite
using PHP extensively myself.)
;-)

> So, how do you propose to evaluate people? Though evaluation is
> necessary, isn't it tough for people who don't really have a "FOSS
> contributor" background?

The evaluation is simply asking (or determining from answers to other
questions) whether the maintainer is able to fix bugs in the upstream
code. The rest follows on from that.

Maintaining packages in Debian *is tough* for people who have no
upstream experience or knowledge simply because they are dependent on
others to fix certain bugs. It is easier for Debian *and* for upstream
if the Debian maintainer has detailed knowledge of the upstream code
because bug reports can include working patches. One example is
architecture-specific bugs - upstream have no real way of fixing bugs
that only appear on some of the supported Debian architectures because
they don't have access to the hardware. If the Debian maintainer has
insufficient knowledge of the upstream code to fix problems specific to
Debian, these kind of bugs tend to escalate in severity until either
someone else has to do an NMU or the package is removed from testing.

This is why I also do not sponsor python, ruby, mono/C# or KDE
packages. (I'm OK with C++ for non-GUI apps but I don't develop in KDE
- don't even have it installed on any of my machines - and I have no
idea where to start with the KDE/Qt class libraries.)

--

Neil Williams