Re: debian files in sourceforge cvs

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 11:07 -0300, Tiago Saboga wrote:
> I am working closely with upstream devs, and I am willing to manage
> the debian files in the same sourceforge cvs. I understand that the
> upstream tarball should not contain the debian files; OTOH,
> sourceforge asks that all files in cvs should be released (and I
> understand them too, it's free software). I have searched in google,
> in debian wiki and in this list's archives and I have not found a tip
> as to what is the best way to address both sides preferences.

What I have found is that, assuming one is not using any
$vcs-buildpackage tool, it's okay to have the debian/ directory in the
appropriate directory in the vcs. However, only if you do not include it
in EXTRA_DIST.

This way, any release tarballs will automatically not have the debian/
directory in, and if one checks out from the vcs then he or she has the
option of creating a package simply as there is an up-to-date debian/
directory present. However, I'm not sure how useful this is in reality.
Still, it keeps repositories a little cleaner.

Regards,

--
Jonny Lamb, UK                               jonnylamb@jonnylamb.com
http://jonnylamb.com                                 GPG: 0x2E039402