Re: RFS: kicad (updated package)

On 15/06/07, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
A drive-by diff review:

Thanks for taking a look.

Perhaps add descriptions and your name to the dpatches.

Done.

Have you sent the patches and the .desktop file upstream?

As of last week I now have write access to the kicad dev svn
repository (in fact it's only as of about 2 weeks ago that there was
an upstream dev repo at all). So patches have gone upstream, except
the debpatchs one (see below).

is 02_debpaths.dpatch really needed?

Not really, it's there for improved performance, albeit the smallest
possible amount. Maybe I'll sneakily change the order upstream so it
checks Debian paths first so I don't need this ;-) If the presence of
this patch would stop you uploading it I'll remove it, let me know how
important you think it is.

Might want to add the homepage to the package description[s]

Done (for the main package).

${Source-Version} is obsolete, please use either ${binary:Version} or
${source:Version} (see http://wiki.debian.org/binNMU)

Both occurrences fixed.

Why do only the german and italian help files depend on the english help files?

The doc available varies by language. German and Italian don't provide
on-line help, and instead reference the English version. It's not
perfect, but a real fix requires extra translation and I don't speak
either of those.

You can replace the patch/unpatch targets with an include
/usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make

Done.

If it is possible to build the docs (which are probably arch-indep) in
the build-indep target, you should do that.

The docs aren't build at all, they ship as-is.

do you have a script to create the orig.tar.gz? you might want to add
a get-orig-source debian/rules target if so

I don't, I do it by hand. It's not ideal, but it's only temporary.
Next upstream version will be from a single source as I convinced them
to check everything into the new svn repo that is required to produce
the complete binary package.

IIRC, debian menu files can only use XPM icons because not all Debian
window managers support PNG

Done.

Does upstream not have a make install target? If not, perhaps you
could craft one and send it upstream, or get them to use automake or
some other system that does installs.

It does have an install target but it's inflexible, and it literally
only copies 5 binaries. It does not install docs, libraries, etc.
Upstream (so will be in next release) I have improved the install
target to allow you to better override the paths, and I'm going to add
targets for installing the rest of the stuff, so again this current
method should only be for this release.

For the changelog, I suggest merging the unreleased changelog entry

Done.

Ok, having done these things would you be willing to do an upload?

Do I need to increment the Debian part of the version number to upload
to the mentors site? I'd assume it'd be happy with another upload of
-1 since it's not been released, and it seems silly to keep
incrementing it while testing things out with a mentor, plus above -1
it won't want to upload the orig source.

Thanks,
Richard.