Re: RFS: brightd

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:47:51 +0200
Evgeni Golov <sargentd@die-welt.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:57:45 +0200 Evgeni Golov wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "brightd".
>
> Is noone interested?

Probably just busy.

You did the right thing though - just ping the list and you'll probably
find that someone who didn't have time before now has some time, like
me.

Lack of interest != lack of activity.

> I also didn't get any comments/hints on the packaging, so I think it
> is okay?

No, it's not. Why are you packaging gpl.txt?

In debian/copyright:
On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General
Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

Hence there is *never* a reason to package another copy of the same file
- that's why it's a common license.
;-)

Lintian can catch many errors but just because lintian does not
complain, does not mean it is the right way to do it.

It's a large part of such a small package too:
6839 2007-04-15 18:39 ./usr/share/doc/brightd/gpl.txt.gz

There's a lot of cruft in the watch file - you only need the line that
is in use and the version line. Plus the watch file doesn't work:
$ uscan -dehs --no-download
<dehs>
<package>brightd</package>
<warnings>uscan warning: In debian/watch,
  no matching hrefs for watch line
  http://www.pberndt.com/Programme/Linux/brightd/_download/brightd-0.1.tar.bz2
brightd-(.*)\.tar\.bz2</warnings>

I'm not sure about the Description in control - it's not just how MacOS
behaves, my iBook does the same running Debian. This complicates
sponsoring your package because I can't test it!
:-(

(In truth, I find the iBook behaviour quite annoying and wouldn't
actually want it on a different laptop, if I had one.)

In debian/rules, you would normally install a file, not just copy it.
install -m <mode> can set any mode that you need. Not sure if this is a
problem or not, it's just not the usual way of doing things like that.

$ lintian -i ../brightd_0.1-2_amd64.changes
W: brightd: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/brightd.1.gz
26: warning: can't find numbered character 194 N:
N:   This man page provokes warnings or errors from man.
N:
N:   "can't find numbered character" usually means latin1 etc in the
input,
N:   and this warning indicates characters will be missing from
the output.
N:   You can change to escapes like \[:a] described on the
groff_char man
N:   page.

That error is here:
(brightd will wait n*1000 µs between each step)

The mu symbol is not accepted. Why not just put "1 millisecond" instead
of 1,000 microseconds?

Another problem - acpi-support. You'd need to check whether brightd
supports more or a different range of laptops to acpi-support which can
do screen brightness for some laptops and can do other ACPI related
stuff too. That doesn't mean brightd cannot be added, it just means
that you should help users decide which one to use by highlighting
where yours differs from acpi-support.

With such a small program, it may also be worth seeing if
the acpi-support upstream are willing to incorporate the functionality
into their package.

--

Neil Williams