Re: yada generated deb not calling update-menus

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 10:59 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> I'm wondering why you, as a 'novice deb builder', chose yada as a
> packaging helper. I wouldn't recommend it to new packagers (or at all),
> because it hides large parts of the build process.

Ah, but that's exactly why I chose it.  I did start off trying dh
scripts but thought it seemed like a lot of work for a simple install.
I didn't discover yada until I got hold of the Martin Krafft Debian
book, liked the look of the apparently cleaner approach and got
something which seemed to work well very quickly.

> You can see that right here: there's code generated that doesn't work,
> but it's very opaque what does this, why, and how to change it.

A look at an old .deb built with yada on sarge (where it worked fine wrt
menus) shows it just contains
  if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus; then update-menus; fi
Searching etch's /usr/bin/yada (perl) for update-menus finds
  "\nif [ \"$1\" = \"configure\" ] && ...
the $1 is presumably being prematurely substituted when it should go
into the postinst script intact.
Aha... in fact a few lines later I can see some presumably correctly
escaped
  "\nif [ \"\$1\" = \"configure\" ];

I've just put in a reportbug.

My only options for fixing my debs immediately seems to be patching yada
or unpacking the debs and patching the affected line.  I'm not sure
which is more horrible.

> debhelper might lead to a longer debian/rules file, but it has the
> advatages that you actually see which steps are taken in what order, and
> that you can easily control what happens.

Hmmm maybe I should give dh another go.
Regards
Tim