Re: manpage tools

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 05:01:56PM +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote......

> What tools do you prefer for writing manpages (e.g. for commands
> that lack one from upstream)?

When I write a man page from scratch, I generally use asciidoc and
xmlto.

Use the ascii.1.txt page in /usr/share/doc/asciidoc as a template to
write a text file called myprogram.1.txt.

Once your page is written, run the following command:

    asciidoc -v --doctype=manpage --backend=docbook  myprogram.1.txt

This produces a myprogram.1.xml file.  Next run this command:

    xmlto man myprogram.1.xml

This produces a myprogram.1 man page.

Obviously there are no shortage of other ways of writing a man page.
This has just seemed easy enough for me.

--
Kevin Coyner  GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941