Re: Where to mount a temporary partition in scripts?

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> If I were you, I'd document in README.Debian how the administrator can
>> mount the images in /xen (or perhaps /srv/xen) and perhaps provide some
>> configuration that makes it simple for the sysadmin to do so.  For the
>> FHS reasons, it shouldn't be the default (perhaps the admin is already
>> using /xen for something completely different), but if the admin
>> *chooses* to put them there, there's no reason why you can't make it
>> easy.

> Would you consider that asking for this path in Debconf would be a good
> thing? That way I can ask if /xen should be used, right? (and maybe
> default to /srv/xen as you suggested as it's better than
> /a/way/too/far/in/the/tree)

I think it depends on how likely you feel it is that the user of this
package is going to want to customize the path.

I think different people have different takes on this, but the way I look
at Debconf questions is that they should be reserved for the stuff that
essentially everyone installing the package is going to have to decide.
They're intrusive when installing multiple systems, they require special
handling for unattended installs, and it gets rather annoying to page
through screens of them.  Debian has generally reduced the number of
Debconf questions one has to deal with in my experience, and I think
that's a good thing.  But if basically everyone using the package is going
to need to make a decision, they're a good thing.

I don't know the specifics of your package.  The impression I got was that
a default somewhere in /var would be fine, just a little annoying.  To me,
that doesn't quite meet the bar for a Debconf question, even at low
priority.  But it may be that directly accessing the images is way more
common than the impression I got.